Friday, October 10, 2014

Personal Reflection... Learning Experience #1

Reflecting upon this learning experience made me realize that technology in education can be such a huge undertaking.  There is so much to learn and explore; from apps, Web 2.0, hardware  and Google, then connecting it all to the curriculum.  I think at times it can be very overwhelming, and at others, so empowering.  I realized this week that there are many tools that I have tried that I'd like to revisit, and many others that I'd like to give a try.  I also learned that others are having the same struggles that I am, and that is more thank ok!  I thank George Couros for reminding us all that taking on too much is not the best idea.  Keep it simple, master a few things, and reflect along the way!


I took some time to look into the SAMR model and what it meant.  I had seen it splatted around on Twitter, but I now have a good understanding of it, and where I think I am on that continuum.  It was interesting to do a Twitter search and come up with links upon links that were quite relevant.  I found visuals, bits of information and various websites.  This just affirmed the fact that Twitter is an important part of my professional learning.  And I don't even need to tweet!
After doing some reading about computer labs, 1:1 devices and the integration model in one of our first activities I realized that my dream for 1:1 isn't really necessary, and that perhaps I should let go of it.  I am inspired to make the best use of what I have, and feel lucky to have the devices that I do in order to support student learning.
The discussion forum allowed me to get some great ideas and expand on my PLN.  I was glad to get feedback from others about some of the things that I use in my classroom, in order to challenge my thinking and continue my journey towards mastery.  Reading others' Web 2.0 posts were especially insightful.  I was reminded of websites that I had once used and left behind, and I learned about some features that I was not aware of.  This just goes to prove that many minds collaborating make for rich ideas.

"The goal of professional learning is the ongoing improvement of practice.
Teacher learning is directly correlated to student learning.
The professional learning framework encourages learning activities based
on provincial legislation and policy, system needs, personal growth needs and
student learning needs. The framework also encourages members of the
College to identify and pursue their strengths and personal interests to further
their professional learning."
(http://www.oct.ca/-/media/PDF/Professional%20Learning%20Framework/framework_e.pdf)

I feel that we are well on our way to fulfull this professional learning goal as outlined by the Ontario College of Teachers.  Looking forward to the next Learning Experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment