
It think it's important to note that working with technology in the classroom always has its advantages and disadvantages. I think of those students who seem to accomplish much more with the use of a device, especially in the area of writing. However, in reality, they do need to be able to pick up a pencil at times and be able to write their ideas, in whatever form it may be. I worry that we sometimes rely a little too much on technology to move them forward. That said, there are so many neat programs that can help them to communicate and have a voice, so can there really be any harm?
Sometimes in the fast paced environment of the classroom, we plan our lessons and at the last minute have the realization that what we are doing does not meet the needs academically of our special needs students. Reflecting and thinking about how we plan and evaluate for these students was useful and helpful to me. I often feel that I am failing at reading these students, at truly moving them along so any professional growth in this area is welcome to me. Seeing other people's ideas and suggestions is helpful. For me, one goal is to make sure that the independent task I assign is suited to that individual student's needs, and now I have more tools (technology) to be able to do that.
I feel as though my school does a great job at allowing students access to technology. We have many CIA devices that were applied for, and are used regularly. Our Resource teacher supports the classroom teachers that seem to be on board with this. Many of our junior students independently use their devices to support their learning. More and more I see teachers trying new things in order to use tools, especially with their special needs learners. This is great. There is always room to grow, but I think we are well on our way.
I now have a list of Google extensions that I want to try thanks to reading everyone's ideas. I look forward to assigning small groups of students an extension so they can teach us how to use them. I think they will enjoy this and we will all learn from the experience. There really is so much more for us to discover, and why not have our students show us?
No comments:
Post a Comment